I am a lover of all things Christmas, so please forgive me if fun and festive activities, recipes, decor, and holiday traditions take over my little corner of the blogosphere for the next month.
Today I want to share with you a quick and easy recipe that is sure to be a hit at any holiday get-together!
Christmas Peppermint Patties
This recipe was PINspired – I found this idea from
Check out Trish’s blog for TONS of homemade awesomeness.
Here’s what you need for the peppermint patties:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or mint extract OR any other extract you want
- food coloring – preferably gel or paste
- ½ cup granulated sugar (to roll balls in)
- Combine butter and corn syrup together in a small bowl.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and your choice of extract and mix until well combined. Add extract ½ teaspoon at a time until the mixture reaches your desired flavor.
- Stir in an additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Turn bowl onto a cutting board sprinkled with another half a cup of powdered sugar.
- Knead the mixture until sugar is absorbed and is completely smooth, adding additional powdered sugar if needed.
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Tint one portion red with the red food color/gel and one green. Leave one portion white.
- Shape into ¾ inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Flatten gently with a fork.
- Let candies stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1 day.
- Store in an airtight container.
Next time I make them (which will probably be tomorrow!) I am going to try dipping them in melted chocolate – like a mock York Peppermint Patty. I’ll let you know how it turns out 🙂
These peppermint patties are the perfect gifts for neighbors, coworkers, or teachers. Small and deliciously flavored, they’re the perfect treat for Christmas!