This comprehensive novel study resource includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED to teach the book by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Simplify your lesson planning with this print-and-go unit. This download now includes a DIGITAL version your students can complete online through Google classroom.
These pages were created to guide your students through the novel, hold them accountable for their reading, and assess their comprehension through a number of fun and challenging activities.
This resource can be used as a whole-class novel study, small group reading groups, or an individual project. You can pick and choose the activities you’d like to use or print out the entire packet for your students to complete. Download the preview for the table of contents and the standards covered in this packet.
The resource includes:
- novel study cover page
- Tracking My Progress (student accountability sheet)
- Chapter Activities (one-page comprehension activities for every chapter)
- Dictionary Detective (vocabulary activity: 3 words per chapter)
- Keeping the Characters Straight (character matching quiz)
- Reading Comprehension Final Test (15-question multiple choice test covering the entire book)
- Chapter Summary graphic organizer (a blank template that can be filled out for any chapter)
- Character Profiles: Henry, Jessie, Violet, Benny, Dr. Martin, and James Alden (asks the reader to list physical and character traits and similarities/differences between the character and the reader)
- Journal Entries (four writing prompts that ask the student to write from the perspective of one of the characters)
- Letter Writing (two letter writing prompts: one to recommend the book to a friend and one to a the author)
- Henry: Hard at Work
- Digging at the Dump
- Newspaper Article: Field Day Dun
- Interactive Notebook foldables (complete student directions are included for each)
- Suggested answers keys (21 pages)
DIGITAL ACTIVITIES: Many of these activities are also available in a DIGITAL format if you would like your students to complete the assignments and submit via Google classroom.
Your students can type their answers in the activities provided in the Google Slides presentation. I have also included a self-grading multiple choice reading comprehension test your students can take after reading the book.
The link to the digital activities is included in the download.
Resource created by: Jessica Lawler