This resource includes everything you need to teach and assess the book by Lois Lowry. Engage your students with these fun and challenging activities – and simplify your lesson planning with this no prep resource that includes both print and digital activities for your students.
These pages were created to guide your students through the novel, hold them accountable for their reading, and assess their comprehension through a number of fun and challenging activities. This resource can be used as a whole-class novel study, small group reading groups, or an individual project. You can pick and choose the activities you’d like to use or print out the entire packet for your students to complete.
This 80-page resource includes:
- novel study cover page
- Tracking My Progress (student accountability sheet)
- Chapter Activities (one-page comprehension activities for every chapter)
- Dictionary Detective (vocabulary activity: 4 words per chapter)
- Keeping the Characters Straight (character matching quiz)
- Reading Comprehension Final Test (15-question multiple choice test covering the entire book)
- Chapter Summary graphic organizer (a blank template that can be filled out for any chapter)
- Character Profiles: Annemarie, Ellen, Kirsti, and Peter (asks the reader to list physical and character traits and similarities/differences between the character and the reader)
- Journal Entries (four writing prompts that ask the student to write from the one of the character’s perspectives (Annemarie, Ellen, Mama, and Uncle Henrik)
- Letter Writing (three letter writing prompts: one from Annemarie’s perspective to Ellen, one from Ellen’s perspective to Annemarie, and one from the student to the author, Lois Lowry)
- Life Changes: Denmark Before and During WW2
- Tools of the Resistance: Secret Codes
- Interactive Notebook foldables (complete student directions are included for each)
- Suggested answers keys (27 pages)
DIGITAL ACTIVITIES: Many of these activities are also available in a DIGITAL format if you would like your students to complete the assignments and submit via Google classroom. Your students can type their answers in the activities provided in the Google Slides presentation. I have also included a self-grading multiple choice reading comprehension test your students can take after reading the book.
The link to the digital activities is included in the download.
This download also includes my Jewish Life During World War 2 reading passages and activities (print and digital). These engaging activities will build your students’ background knowledge on the true circumstances of the Jewish people during World War 2.
Resource created by: Jessica Lawler