This comprehensive Frindle novel study resource includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED to teach the book Frindle by Andrew Clements. Simplify your lesson planning with this no-prep unit. This download now includes a DIGITAL version your students can complete online through Google classroom.
These pages were created to guide your students through the novel, hold them accountable for their reading, and assess their comprehension through a number of fun and challenging activities.
This resource can be used as a whole-class novel study, small group reading groups, or an individual project. You can pick and choose the activities you’d like to use or print out the entire packet for your students to complete.
The resource includes:
- Frindle novel study cover page
- Tracking My Progress (student accountability sheet)
- Chapter Activities (one-page comprehension activities for every chapter)
- Dictionary Detective (vocabulary activity: 4 words per chapter)
- K-W-L Chart: The Dictionary
- Keeping the Characters Straight (character matching quiz)
- Chapter Summary graphic organizer (a blank template that can be filled out for any chapter)
- Character Profiles: Nick Allen and Mrs. Granger (asks the reader to list physical and character traits and similarities/differences between the character and the reader)
- Journal Entries (three writing prompts that ask the student to write from the perspective of either Nick or Mrs. Granger)
- Letter Writing (two letter writing prompts: one to recommend the book to a friend and one to a teacher the reader appreciates)
- Create a New Word Activity (the student can create a brand new word for the dictionary. You can compile all the new words into a class dictionary)
- The Same Word in Different Languages (a research project for the students to look up words in French, Spanish, and a foreign language of their choice)
- Reading Comprehension Final Test (15-question multiple choice test covering the entire book)
- Interactive Notebook foldables (complete student directions are included for each)
- Suggested answers keys (30 pages)
DIGITAL ACTIVITIES: Many of these activities are also available in a DIGITAL format if you would like your students to complete the assignments and submit via Google classroom.
Your students can type their answers in the activities provided in the Google Slides presentation. I have also included a self-grading multiple choice reading comprehension test your students can take after reading the book.
The link to the digital activities is included in the download.
Resource created by: Jessica Lawler